Sunday, August 24, 2008

Snacks, Treats and Special Treats.


Anyone who knows a Campbell kid knows they are snackers or "grazers". Chris and I laugh thinking about when we were at the hospital and all Piper wanted to do was nurse, she nursed for hours on end and the nurse prophetically warned " better watch it she will be a snacker". Now, whether or not that was the catalyst is debatable, however, we did end up with a snacker. Atticus is a snacker only because Piper is, you know, " Pete and Repete" as Chris calls them. Trying to get eager participation in the meals Chris and I prepare so lovingly every evening, we have taken to setting snack times 1030 and 230pm . But because they will not eat breakfast, (or lunch, or dinner) they are hungry constantly. So, Pipers way around this is to differentiate snacks from treats and special treats. A snack is fruit, veggies (anything healthy). A treat is.....well I'm not sure, you have to ask Piper that. A special treat is a popsicle. We have mad love for popsicles in our family. So, when Piper has had an apple for snack she will then ask for a treat...when you point out she just had an apple she says " That was a snack, I want a treat". If she is lucky and blessed with a popsicle she will later say " I want a snack" when you point out she just had a popsicle she declares " but that was a special treat, I havent had a snack". If this fails, she then moves on to Atticus. " Atticus, do you want some crackers" Atticus says "yeah". Piper will then yell " Mommmm, Atticus wants some crackers. For some reason, Piper thinks that if Atticus wants it, then it is in the bag. She is repeatedly disappointed when Atticus is denied. On top of this, Piper is big on adjectives these days, especially when she is not happy. Saturday we were eating leftovers for lunch. Having had a late night on Friday Piper was a cheery ball of sunshine. When she saw her lunch, chicken, she cried " but this is dinner, I dont want to take a bath and go to bed". When we explained that we were not going to send her to bed for the night at 1200pm she cried " my dress is too short for me and too long for the baby". She was running low on things to cry about. Piper also did not want to drink her milk " this is not the good milk its yucky, disgusting, I dont want it". See what I mean, a ball of sunshine and postivity. Mr. Repeat (atticus) then chimes in " I dont like milk, its disgusting" as he chugs down his and Pipers milks. gotta laugh at that.
This weekend, we continued to work on the yard. I guess I should clarify that Chris did most of the work while I sat in the directors chair. In the process, we got a great big mound of dirt that the kids have been using to make lemonade and pies. They look delicious. But it has been sweet to watch them end up in head to toe mud and love it. Our tub may never be truly clean again.

No comments: